“The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.” –Rudolph W. Giuliani. December 31, 2001
Comp Train Daily Mindset:
“18 years ago, we underwent a tragic loss.
18 years ago, we became stronger than it ever before.
We recognize that adversity breeds strength. And through adverse times, we can find good, if we only look for it. This is an incredibly hard thought process to apply here, with good reason.
It’s highly personal.
It feels borderline wrong.
It’s painful to even consider.
But one thing rings true.
If the lives lost that day could speak to us now, there would be something very specific they would call for. It would be, for exactly that.
To cherish what we have. Not just by saying “thanks”, or even “I love you”. By going the extra mile. By helping the ailing friend in need – or better – the stranger in need. To genuinely care for the human being to the left and right of you, regardless of gender, ethnicity, and religion.
Although a seemingly small act in and of itself, this is indeed movement towards preventing such a monstrous act from ever happening again. It is playing our part.
We’ll never forget the pain we felt that day.
But what is more important than remembering the pain, is what we do going forward.
In the words of John F. Kennedy,
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.””
Teams of 2:
Buy-In: 2001 Meter Row
9 Rope Climbs
11 Bear Complexes (135/95)
Cash-Out: 2977 Meter Row
- “”Always Remembered”” is an annual partner workout we do on CompTrain to honor the victims of the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks on New York City
- The 2001 meter row represents the year
- The 4 rounds represents the four planes
- The 9 Rope Climbs represents the month
- The 11 Bear Complexes represent the day
- The 2977 meter row represents the lives lost
- 1 Bear Complex: 1 Power Clean + 1 Front Squat + 1 Push Press + 1 Back Squat + 1 Back Rack Push Press
- The limiting factor on the barbell will likely be the push press or back rack push press
- Choose a weight that you could complete 20+ push presses unbroken when fresh
- If teammates are using different weights, it’s ok to use 2 barbells